Frequently Asked Questions
How to Setup Email Accounts in Outlook. You can also view this VIDEO TUTORIAL!
Q: How do I set up email in Outlook, Outlook Express, or my email program of choice?
A: The first thing to do to configure your email client (program or software) is to identify it.
In the case of this tutorial we are showing how to setup your email in Microsoft™ Outlook Express™, however most email clients are much the same regarding entering the username, password and server settings.
There are 2 ways to get to this on most systems. The first is an icon on the desktop, the second is a quick link icon on the start bar.
Once you have the program opened, we'll go through the steps to set up an account.
- Once you have the program opened, click the 'Tools' button - located at the top of your email program.
- Click on the 'Accounts...' selection.
- Below is the screen that you will see. On the right hand side there is a button called 'Add', click it and then click on the 'Mail' selection.
- This is the name that people will see (like a return address name on an envelope) when they receive an email from you. You may place anything you want in here (example: nickname, first name, whole name).
- This is the point where you put in your email address. Your email address consists of your username + your domain name as in the example above. DO NOT MAKE SOMETHING UP FOR THIS!! If you host with us, you will have been assigned a username and this is what you use here. This needs to coordinate with what is set up on the server email account, so if you are not sure please email us. You cannot just make something up and have it work...it has to match the account on the server to work.
- This is the email server name. it is very important that you put these in here exactly as shown, otherwise the mail will neither be deliverable nor will you receive any. The incoming mail server needs to be set as the default: POP3. This is the server your emails sit on until you go to download it to your email program. If we are hosting your website, this is our server that it sits on and in your account on our server. You need to set it to mail.yourdomain.com....this is important...please change yourdomain to your actual domain name. Example: If your domain name is crickets.com, you will fill in mail.crickets.com. Another example: your domain name is sally.com...you will fill in mail.sally.com. The SMTP or outgoing mail server needs to be set to use the SMTP server that is provided by your ISP. This means that whoever you buy your Internet Connection (NOT hosting) from (Dial-up, DSL, Cable, Satellite) needs to be contacted and find out what they want you to use for a SMTP server. That info needs to be put in here exactly as they give it to you. Mistakes in spelling, or adding spaces or capital letters can cause this to malfunction. Perfection is a necessity here.
- This is where you place your account information for logon purposes. This info allows your email program to connect to the account on the server. If you host with us, that means that you are able to connect to the right email account on our server. It is very important that you use the right info, or you will not be able to connect. It takes the correct combination of your username and that username's password to connect. Mistakes in spelling, or adding spaces or capital letters can cause this to malfunction. Perfection is a necessity here. Please Note: The username DOES contain the domain information - the username is the same as your email address; so if your email address is firstname.lastname@example.org, then your username is email@example.com. And always click the 'Remember Password' box so that you won't have to retype it each time you want to check your email!
- Now you are finished. Click the 'Finish' button and then click close on the account page and you are configured to receive email.